The Library of the Institute of Botany and Botanical Garden Jevremovac is one of the oldest and richest botanical libraries in the region of Southeast Europe. The establishment of the library began in 1853 on Belgrade Lyceum, Lyceum of the Principality of Serbia, at the Cabinet for the natural history, where Josif Pančić was lecturer and collected literature for the needs of his research as well as for the needs of teaching.
The Library Funds contain over 7000 books, nearly 300 scientific and professional journals and over 6,000 botanical offprints.
The fund of the periodical journals contains the world's leading botanical magazines, which have been continuously purchased for many years, such as the reference German journal Flora from Regensburg, located in the library from the first issue from 1818. Also, the entire work of the oldest French botanical journal Annales des Sciences Naturelles has been acquired since its inception in 1824, as well as many other important scientific journals.
In addition to the extremely valuable collection of scientific periodicals, the library also has a valuable book fond. Among the books that keep together the knowledge of its time there are real treasures, exclusive, rare and antique editions of museum value. The oldest books date back to the 16th and 17th centuries.
The famous encyclopaedia of the ancient world, Plinii Secundi Naturalis Historiae, The history of the Pliny the Younger, from the first century, is found in our library in the Old French translation L'Histoire du Monde de Pline Second, published in Lyon in 1562. It is luxuriously furnished, in a leatherette with a golden headdress and ornaments.
The history of rare plants Clusii Rariorum Plantarum Historia, a famous Dutch humanist and physician, one of the leading botanists of the 16th century, Carolus Clusius, published in Antwerp in 1601, is also located in the library's fund.
There is also a book of lectures on medications and herbs, Petri Andreae Matthioli Senensis medici comentarii in VI libros Pedacii Anazarbei Dioscoridis De Materia Medica, in six books, an Italian physician from Siena, Pietra Andree Matioli, published in 1598. Basically, this is a concise translation of the major part of De Materia Medica by an Ancient Greek physician, Anazarbus Dioskorides, supplemented by Matioli's remarks and his personal knowledge.
From the 18th century comes the famous Palas's Flora Rossica, About the plants of the Russian Empire of Europe and Asia, in two volumes, dedicated to the empress of Russian Emperor Katarina II the Great, printed in 1784 and 1788 in Saint Petersburg, with fascinating illustrations of plants that are hand-painted lithographs.
One of the most valuable editions is certainly the book of Rare plants of Hungary of Waldstein and Kitaibel, Plantae Rariores Hungariae, in three volumes, folio format, luxuriously equipped, leather bound and accented with gold. Exceptional plant illustrations, hand-painted lithographs, are small masterpieces. The book was printed in Vienna in 1802.
The crown jewel of the library is Flora Graeca Sibthorpiana, a magnificent edition of 10 volumes of wild plants from Greece, Asia Minor and Levant, the life work of John Sibtorp. It is a luxurious and rare edition with nearly 1000 illustrations of natural-sized plants, which are lithographed manually by watercolor technique, based on original drawings by famous botanist painter Ferdinand Bauer.